- International Dispute Resolution, & Mediation
- Class & Collective Actions
- Commercial/Business Litigation
- Employment Litigation and Counseling
- Shareholder & Officer/Director Disputes
- Trade Secret
- Non-solicitation, & Confidentiality Disputes
- White Collar
- Investigations, & Business Crimes
Cherine Smith Valbrun
Cherine Smith Valbrun concentrates her practice in complex commercial and business tort litigation matters, and e-discovery. She has extensive experience in civil litigation related to breaches of contracts, shareholder disputes, commercial construction, commercial leasing, commercial torts, and insurance defense. She has successfully domesticated out-of-country foreign money judgments and assists clients with drafting and negotiating commercial agreements.
Cherine has represented various domestic and international clients from Fortune 500 companies to small businesses and individuals in all phases of litigation and alternative dispute resolution proceedings. She represents clients from a wide variety of industries including manufacturing, telecommunications, insurers, food and beverage, retail merchandising, financial institutions, accounting services, recruiting, information technology consulting, and homeowners’ associations.
- Represent financial institutions and FDIC in litigation matters.
- Represent insurance company in property damage litigation.
- Represent multi-national telecommunications company in business tort case alleging federal RICO and telecommunications fraud claims.
- Defended chemical manufacturer/distributor in an environmental contamination jury trial.
- Represented business investors in a six-day trial challenging recognition of an out-of-country foreign judgment.
- Coordinate and manage e-discovery in several matters, including imaging servers and inspection of computers.
- Prevailed on summary judgment against developer and buyer in a breach of contract case on behalf of real estate investor.
- Obtained award of damages, attorneys’ fees, costs and statutory penalties for real estate investor in arbitration.
- Obtained judgments against a commercial retailer’s vendors and the vendor’s guarantors.
- Secured release of client’s escrowed deposit in a dispute over the purchase and sale of a yacht.
- Settled various claims on behalf of recruiting firm for employee’s breach of non-compete agreement and tortious interference.
- Obtained temporary injunction for minority shareholder in dispute over multimillion dollar sale of business.
- Defended corporation in class-action claim for breach of Florida’s Deceptive and Unfair Trade Practices Act, breaches of warranties and fraud.
- Defended accounting consulting firm from professional liability claims.
- Negotiated complex commercial construction agreement on behalf of auto parts warehouse.
- Drafted and negotiated commercial leases on behalf of landlord.
- Drafted and negotiated termination of commercial lease agreements on behalf of international clients and separation agreements between shareholders/members as a result of shareholder disputes.
- Domesticated out-of-country foreign money-judgments for foreign individuals and corporations.
- Obtained favorable rulings for pro bono client in two separate one-day domestic violence and child custody trials.
Honors and Recognitions
- Florida Rising Star, SUPER LAWYERS, 2010, 2015-16
- Florida Legal Elite, Up & Comer, FLORIDA TREND, 2015-16
- Up & Comer Finalist, Law, SOUTH FLORIDA BUSINESS & WEALTH, 2016
- Award for Recognition of Pro Bono Service, BROWARD LAWYERS CARE, 2014
- 40 Under 40 Leaders of Today and Tomorrow, LEGACY MAGAZINE, 2014
- Influential Caribbean Women, KARIB NATION, INC., 2011
Professional and Community Activities
- The Florida Bar
- 17th Judicial Circuit Representative, Board of Governors, Young Lawyers Division
- Class III Fellow, Leadership Academy
- Business Law Fellow, 2013-15
- Appointed Member, Standing Committee on Professionalism
- Broward County Bar Association, YLS Non-Voting Board Member
- Caribbean Bar Foundation, Board Member, 2010–present
- Caribbean Bar Association
- Past-President, 2009-10
- Board Member, 2010-11
- Legal Services of Greater Miami, Board Member
- National Bar Association, Member
- Using Documents at Depositions, Legal Services of Greater Miami
- Written & Electronic Discovery, Legal Services of Greater Miami
- Legal Malpractice Summit, Case Law Update, Broward County Bar Association
- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D.
- University of Miami, B.A., cum laude
- All Florida state courts
- United States District Court, Southern District of Florida
- Kim Vaughan Lerner LLP, Partner
- Steel Hector & Davis LLP (now Squire Patton Boggs), Legal Intern
- District of Columbia Public Defender’s Office, Legal Extern
- DunnCox Law Firm, Law Clerk
- Washington Gas & Light Co., Legal De