- International Dispute Resolution, & Mediation
- Class & Collective Actions
- Commercial/Business Litigation
- Employment Litigation and Counseling
- Shareholder & Officer/Director Disputes
- Trade Secret
- Non-solicitation, & Confidentiality Disputes
- White Collar
- Investigations, & Business Crimes
Jay Kim is an experienced litigator who is peer-review rated AV Preeminent® by Martindale-Hubbell, its highest rating. Jay has worked extensively on complex commercial litigation matters and is widely regarded as a thorough and creative lawyer. He has litigated a wide variety of matters, including shareholder disputes, securities litigation, franchise disputes, professional malpractice, litigation relating to real estate, commercial leasing and construction, non-competition litigation, insurance litigation and commercial tort litigation.
Not content just to litigate cases for the sake of litigation, Jay takes great pride in being a problem solver. In his approach to cases, Jay strives to isolate the problem, identify the client’s specific goals, and incorporate those goals into the objectives of the litigation.
- Defended large retailer in consumer class action lawsuit.
- Represented financial institutions and FDIC in litigation matters.
- Defended insurance company in property damage claims.
- Represented shareholders in disputes against company.
- Represented companies in construction litigation.
- Defended accounting services firm from professional liability claims.
- Defended investor relations company in litigation with SEC.
- Represented international clients in disputes related to manufacturing and construction financing.
Honors and Recognitions
- AV Preeminent®, MARTINDALE-HUBBELL
- President’s Pro Bono Service Award, THE FLORIDA BAR, 2015
- Pro Bono Attorney of the Year, BROWARD LAWYERS CARE, 2014
- Band 4, Litigation: General Commercial, Florida, CHAMBERS USA, 2011-13
- Top Lawyer, FLORIDA SUPER LAWYERS, 2015
- Top Lawyer, SOUTH FLORIDA LEGAL GUIDE, 2012-13, 2015
- Legal Elite, FLORIDA TREND MAGAZINE, 2008-10, 2014
- Top Up and Comer, SOUTH FLORIDA LEGAL GUIDE, 2005-10
- Abogados Destacados del Sur de la Florida, REVISTAS ABOGADOS, 2013
- John Edward Smith Child Advocacy Award, LAWYERS FOR CHILDREN AMERICA, 2001
Professional and Community Activities
- The Florida Bar
- Governor, 17th Judicial Circuit, Board of Governors
- Fellow, Inaugural Class, Leadership Academy,
- Member, Vision 2016 Commission, Committee on Delivery of Legal Services/Pro Bono
- Member, Annual Convention Committee
- Past Chair, Judicial Administration & Evaluation Committee
- Former Chair, Grievance Committee
- Broward County Bar Association
- Former Board of Directors Member
- Chair, Voluntary Bar Liaison Committee
- Legal Aid Service of Broward County, Past Chair of the Board
- Coast to Coast Legal Aid of South Florida, Past Chair of the Board
- Asian Pacific American Bar Association of South Florida, Director, Founding Member, and Past President
- National Asian Pacific American Bar Association, Member
- 17th Judicial Circuit Pro Bono Committee, Member
- Fellows of the American Bar Association, Member
- Dade County Bar Association, Member
- Fluent in Korean
- University of Florida College of Law, J.D., with honors
- Executive Research Editor, University of Florida Journal of Law and Public Policy
- University of Pennsylvania, B.A., Economics
- All Florida state courts
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- United States District Court, Southern, Middle and Northern Districts of Florida
- Kim Vaughan Lerner LLP, Managing Partner
- Steel Hector & Davis LLP (now Squire Patton Boggs), Partner
- Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, Associate National Bank Examiner
Co-Author, “Why Loan Documentation Must Control Lender Behavior,” Commercial Lending Review, July – August 2008